Brandywine Valley SPCA provides shelter and adoption services for all animals picked up by Delaware Animal Services. There are many wonderful pets looking for good homes in their Delaware and Pennsylvania shelters. If you think you’re ready to add a pet to your family, visit the adoption centers or browse our adoptable pets online. They’re sure to have the right pet for you.
Adopting a pet is a very exciting time. The staff at the Brandywine Valley SPCA wants the process to go as smoothly as possibly so that you enjoy selecting and welcoming your new family member. Here’s a list of things to bring with you in order to complete an adoption:
- A current driver’s license
- Copy of your lease or proof of home ownership
- Necessary fees for adoption
- Appropriate handling items for the animal that you are adopting: a carrier for a cat or a collar and leash if you are adopting a dog (supplies also available to be purchased at our shelter)
Other things to consider:
Please note, you do not need to be a Delaware resident to adopt from us.
We strongly encourage all members of a family to come and meet with any pet being considered. We also recommend that potential adopters be mindful of lifestyle, level of activity, work situations, and living situations when deciding which dog or cat is right for them. Many of our dogs will need a great deal of exercise as well as training, so make sure that energy level is a consideration prior to adopting.
- 600 South Street, New Castle, Delaware
- Phone: (302) 516-1000
- Tuesday – Friday: 12pm – 7pm
- Saturday – Sunday: 10am – 5pm
- Closed Mondays
All adoptions must begin a half an hour prior to closing time